The Taylor Family
Charles Taylor was born in 1772 in Schenectady, New York to parents James and Lydia Vankirk Taylor. In 1795, he was married to Catharine Conde, the eldest daughter of Adam and Catalyntje Truax Conde, also of Schenectady. Charles and Catharine became the parents of six children: Charles John, Cornelius van Santvoord, Adam Conde, William Rhodes, Betsey Ann, and Samuel Elisha Taylor.
Catharine Conde Taylor died in Schenectady on September 5, 1815 and was interred at the First Reformed Dutch Churchyard in West Glenville, New York. The following year, Charles Taylor was married to Ursula Maxwell Connover, a daughter of Roecliff Connover. Three children were born to that union: Catherine Jane, Ursula Euphemia, and DeWitt Clinton Taylor, for whom Clinton Avenue in Ohio City is named.
In 1817, the Taylor family moved west from New York State and settled on a farm, comprised of more than one hundred acres, in Brooklyn Township, Ohio. This came to be known as The Taylor Farm. The property was bounded on the north by the Old Riverbed, on the south by Woodbine Avenue, on the east by W. 28th Street and on the west by W. 44th Street. One year later, the Taylors completed the construction of their farmhouse, which stood at 231 Detroit Street, later renumbered as 3026 Detroit Avenue. It was the third house to be built in what would become Ohio City and was the second oldest house in Cleveland when it was torn down in 1912.
Charles Taylor died of consumption at his home in Ohio City on March 11, 1842 at the age of 69. Ursula Maxwell Connover Taylor died at the home of her son, DeWitt Clinton Taylor, on Saturday, March 30, 1878, at the age of 93. Both Charles and Ursula are interred on this lot, though their graves are not marked. Also interred here was their son-in-law, Daniel Denison Jr., who was married to their daughter Ursula. Daniel Denison's remains were later removed to Lake View Cemetery. Another who once took their repose on this lot was Charles and Ursula's 26-year-old grandson, Charles, who died in 1886. Ten years later, his remains were relocated to Riverside Cemetery, where he was re-interred beside his father, DeWitt.
The Taylor headstones that exist on this lot belong to two of Charles and Catharine Conde Taylor's sons, Cornelius S. and Adam C. Taylor.
Cornelius van Santvoord Taylor, was born in Schenectady, New York on December 13, 1801, and was named after an uncle on his mother's side. By the mid-1820's, Cornelius owned a number of properties in Brooklyn Township, and was a partner in the hardware mercantile firm of Ballard and Taylor, with John Ballard. Cornelius S. Taylor died on September 20, 1827 at the age of 25 years, 9 months. His funeral was held the following day from Philo Scovill's Franklin House at 25 Superior Street in Cleveland.
Adam Conde Taylor was born in 1803 in Schenectady, New York. He was named in honor of his maternal grandfather, who served as a private in the Second Regiment of the Albany Militia, under Captain John Mynderse during the American Revolution. Adam C. Taylor died on September 15, 1820 at the age of 17 years. His headstone is the oldest in Monroe Street Cemetery.