The Monroe Street Cemetery Foundation
The Monroe Street Cemetery Foundation, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, all
volunteer organization was established to preserve and enhance the
historic cemetery grounds, headstones, monuments and burial structures
located at 3207 Monroe Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio, as well as providing
educational opportunities for the general public and other public
The City of Cleveland must maintain Monroe Street Cemetery (one of twelve cemeteries operated by the City of Cleveland), but is financially unable to maintain and preserve it adequately. In order to assist the City of Cleveland with its burden with respect to maintaining the cemetery, concerned citizens formed the Foundation. The Foundation will work to preserve its historic significance, share in some responsibilities for the maintenance of the grounds, and assist the City of Cleveland in obtaining funding for improvements to structures and features of the Cemetery.
Specifically, the Foundation will dedicate its resources to the following:
- The Foundation will assist the City of Cleveland in landscaping the grounds of the Cemetery.
- The Foundation will preserve and enhance the Cemetery by operating programs for restoration of damaged headstones and mausoleums. The Foundation will work to improve the conditions of the burial plots so that family members and the general public may safely visit the historically significant burial sites at the Cemetery.
- The Foundation will also preserve the rich history of the pioneers of the City of Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, State of Ohio and its nation through research and education of the public.
- The Foundation will provide limited research and photograph services to persons with loved ones buried in the cemetery and/or persons doing genealogical research about persons buried in the cemetery.
- The Foundation will take part in community activities that will promote the historic and cultural values of the Ohio City Historic Districts.
The Monroe Street Cemetery Foundation is an Ohio Corporation with Federal Employer Identification Number 26-1792248.